I want to burn with the spirit of the times. I want all servants of the stage to recognize their lofty destiny. I am disturbed at my comrades' failure to rise above narrow caste interests which are alien to the interests of society at large. Yes, the theatre can play an enormous part in the transformation of the whole of existence.
- Vsevolod Meyerhold
Theatre With a Conscience....
Throughout my life I have encountered people who have never been to the theatre. Usually they said it was too expensive or too pretentious; they felt unwelcome or out of their depth. The creation of Théâtre Libre (“theatre for everyone”) sought to reconcile those feelings of the non-theatre going everyman.
- We believe the stage should be enjoyed not just by theatre-buffs or academics, but by anyone who wants to come along and suspend disbelief for a few hours!
- By using physical theatre to update classics we are appealing to a human inclination towards the visual sense. Without oversimplifying, we bring stories to life using the body. Movement transcends language barriers or dense text to provide an inclusive experience.
- We strive to make theatre accessible to all- by regularly having pay-what-you-can nights, offering deeply discounted student tickets, and free entry for instructors.
The positive benefits of theatre have been extensively researched and documented. As a socially responsible company, we have lofty goals.
- We strive to provide a platform to empower individuals - cultivating a love of the arts in our local community as well as nurturing the talents of emerging theatre professionals.
- We will hold workshops for young people and children, using theatre as an opportunity to explore issues that affect them.
To learn more about Théâtre Libre’s social initiatives both current and future, please feel free to get in contact
Make Do and Mend...
Inspired by the Young Vic’s ecologically sustainable methods, Théâtre Libre is now a GREEN theatre company!
- We use paperless marketing where possible (no flyers for us!)
- We recycle all our programmes and posters
- We reuse and repurpose costumes, set pieces, and props
- We borrow where we can, and build when we must; using upcycled or reclaimed materials and only purchasing sustainable wood for sets
- We also encourage all cast and crew to cycle, walk, or use public transport to rehearsals in order to reduce our carbon footprint.
There is so much more we want to do for our planet, we are constantly growing and learning so watch this space!
A Note On Casting...
We are an all female company, so plays with strong female leads are important to us. We also practice colour blind and cross-gender casting.